Freshman Ann Marie Martucci now calls Laurel Hall her home after moving from Cliffside Park, Bergen County, to attend Rowan. To help prepare you for your big move on campus, she gives us an inside look into dorm life as shares a list of ten things you might not expect, but should know about living on campus.
1. The first few weeks can be difficult and may take some getting used to but dorm life is truly is fun!
2. A snack basket is totally essential for late night cravings and study sessions, especially when you don’t want to make your way all the way to the dining hall.
3. Decorating your desk with a cute calendar and mason jars filled with pens can make sitting down for homework way easier.
4. A DIY photo board can be great for keeping memories throughout the year.
5. If you’re addicted to coffee (like me) a Keurig is essential for 8 a.m. classes and late night studying.
6. Always keep room in your drawers for free t-shirts, Rowan gives them out everywhere!!!
7. The laundry room can get super busy, try doing laundry every Saturday instead of Sunday when everyone’s cramming in multiple loads.
8. A pair of shower shoes is definitely needed to walk to and from the bathroom and to wear inside the shower.
9. Becoming friends with your RA is definitely a good idea. They are someone who can offer advice and help you navigate your classes and campus. I became super close with mine and now she always looks out for me!
10. The biggest thing I’ve learned living on campus at Rowan is that there are so many events and opportunities to make friends and meet other students in your dorm! Forming friendships with the people I live with has made dorm life so fun and feel more like home. I love being surrounded by so many friends!
What are your “must have’s” for living on campus? Let us know in the comments below!
Photography and story organized by:
Jen Green, senior public relations major